Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Rimmel Scandaleyes Eye Shadow Stick - Review / Swatches

I personally love using cream eyeshadow bases and use them on a regular basis. Eyeshadow bases not only help intensify the eyeshadow you are wearing but also make your eyeshadow last longer throughout the day without creasing! One of my favourite coloured cream eyeshadow base is the Rimmel Scandaleyes Eye Shadow Stick in Paranoid Purple. This eyeshadow stick retails for £4.50 at your local Superdrug or Boots (drugstore). The ScandalEyes range has come out a few months ago and it received much hype throughout the Beauty Blogging and YouTube communities. I do have full in depth review on the RetroGlam mascara from the Scandaleyes range if you are interested in reading about more products in the line.

The Scandaleyes eyeshadow stick looks very similar to a large kids crayon. This is great because you can apply the product by rubbing the eyeshadow stick (crayon) over the entire eyelid without needing to dip your fingers into a pot. The product is easily blendable so once you apply the colour all over the lid you can blend around the edges with a blending brush or your finger to get rid of the harsh edge.

Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal - Paranoid Purple
Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal - Paranoid Purple
Now there are actually two ways that people tend to use cream eyeshadows, either wearing them alone or under their eyeshadows. I do find however that this product will crease if you don’t set it with any eyeshadow. This doesn't happen instantly but throughout the day (around 4-5 hours) it will start creasing in the crease of your eye which is very noticeable when you blink. However if you just put a similar coloured eyeshadow over top of the cream eyeshadow it will last all day with no creasing.

Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal - Paranoid Purple Swatch
This product is amazing for layering under purple eyeshadows and it really intensifies the look making it look much more dramatic. If you use a very opaque colour over the eyelid it will create dark sultry looks when eyeshadow is placed on top, whereas if you smudge out the colour a lot so it is somewhat sheer over the eyelid your eyeshadow will come out much more wearable for everyday use. One of my favourite colours to layer over the top of this pencil is the purple eyeshadow in my Sleek Original palette.

(L-R) Sleek Original Palette purple eyeshadow, Sleek purple eyeshadow over Paranoid Purple, Paranoid Purple
The only problem I have with this product is that these are very similar to the Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencils in which they do not twist up so you will need to sharpen the product once you have used it a while. The actual size of the pencil is too big to fit in a normal sharpener so you would need to buy a special sharpener which I think is a pain and I am not likely to do. Instead I have depotted most of my eyeshadow pencils when it comes time for them to be sharpened. I actually have a blog post showing how to depot eyeshadow pencils with the Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencils but it would work the same with this pencil.

Close up of Paranoid Purple
Also I would just like to mention that these are very difficult to remove which obviously comes with ‘waterproof’ makeup. I find that you really have to scrub at your eye to fully get the makeup off of your eyelid. This is probably much easier to do with a makeup remover but if you are using something like a baby wipe to wipe off the majority of your makeup you will have a hard time. I tried scrubbing off the swatches on my hand after I took the photos for this post and after violently scrubbing my arm this was left… The product is very much waterproof and I tried putting my swatched hand under water and scrubbing and it did not smudge at all. You can also rub your finger across the product and although it will not smudge at all a tiny bit of colour will come off on your finger but honestly it is the smallest amount!

Product left on hand after violently scrubbing with a baby wipe

Overall I think this product is great for layering under eyeshadows and can really intensify your eyeshadow looks. This would be extremely useful with cheaper eyeshadows that do not have great pigmentation as it will add that little bit of pigmentation to the eyeshadow that will really make it show up on the lid. They are very reasonably priced and I am very interested in checking out some of the other colours. I would say that these last much longer on the eyelid than a Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil which they are very similar to but they are much harder to remove. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a cheap way to keep your eyeshadow on all day while also providing a colour base to intensify your eyeshadow! 

What is your favourite eyeshadow base? I would love to know your answers so leave them down in the comment section below!

3 comments:

  1. I love these - I would using them as a base personally! http://rosebeautynow.blogspot.co.uk/ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like wearing the Maybelline Colour Tattoos alone without eyeshadow but for the Scandaleyes Stick I only like wearing it under eyeshadows. They are slightly harder to blend compared to the Maybelline Colour Tattoos or Nyx Eye Pencils but obviously they would be great if you were going swimming or to the beach for an all over the lid colour!

      Delete
  2. I had some of these but could not get them to work for me. But after seeing this review, I might just have to give them a second chance :)

    zoea2812.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

UA-51663625-1