Thursday, 22 May 2014

Urban Decay Original Primer Potion - Review / Swatches

Recently I showed you all my first time ever buying high end makeup items and what I bought, and in this haul I showed the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion samples I received with my Naked palette. I plan on reviewing each of the four primer potions separately as they all have different formulations and colours. For the purpose of today’s blog post I will be reviewing the Original Primer Potion formula. This product can be found in stores such as Debenhams or Boots and retails for around £16.




The Urban Decay Original Eyeshadow Primer Potion is meant to be worn under eyeshadows to increase the longevity of the eyeshadows and prevent creasing. This works by creating a sticky base for your eyeshadows to stick to. The Original formula comes out of the tube with a skin tone colour but when you rub it on your eyelids it dries invisibly. The texture of this product feels somewhat like a face primer that contains silicone and it is a very thick liquid formula which feels great on the eyelids. The packaging for the full size version of this product is also very cute and girly. It is almost like a potion bottle top with either an actual bottle holding the product or a squeeze tube. A full size version of this product will also last you quite a long time as very little is needed to cover each eyelid.



As this primer dries invisibly, the primer will not cover up any redness or veins that can be found on the eyelid. I find that the shadows do show up more vibrant than if they were applied on the skin by themselves but it is not as big of a difference as say a cream eyeshadow base would be. I find that the primer makes a noticeable difference on the longevity of the eyeshadows that you apply over the top. I have worn eyeshadows over the Original primer potion for over 12 hours straight and the eyeshadows still are in place with no creasing. The package states that it will give you 24 hours of vibrant crease-free colour, but I do not like wearing makeup for that long as I have acne-prone skin.

After the Primer has been rubbed into the hand. Dries invisibly.
I personally always like to wear some sort of base under my eyeshadow whether it is an eye primer or a cream eyeshadow base, and I feel that it does make a huge difference in the way your eyeshadow lasts. Although for the price of £16 for the full size I cannot see myself paying that much for an eyeshadow base. I feel that my Maybelline Colour Tattoo’s or Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencils have the same effect as the primer potion but at a fraction of the price. I also like that the cream eyeshadows have a colour to them so that when you apply them to your lid it covers up any redness or visible veins. It is also nice to lay a coloured cream eyeshadow under your normal eyeshadows as it can bump up the colour intensity even more (eg. layering a bronze cream eyeshadow under brown eyeshadows).


I do not find that I have issues with creasing by only using a cream eyeshadow as a base, but if you have oily eye’s it may be worthwhile to invest in an eyeshadow primer to wear underneath a cream eyeshadow / eyeshadows. Also if you are looking for a primer for a big event such as a wedding or anything where you want your eyeshadow to last above and beyond 12 hours it may also be worth buying this product. If you are like me and do not have a problem with oily eyelids I think that there are better products in the drugstore that give you the same effect as the Urban Decay Primer Potion for a fraction of the price. I do not feel that this primer goes above and beyond the similar drugstore products and therefore I cannot see myself purchasing the full size.


I do plan on reviewing the other Urban Decay Primer Potion formulas as soon as I have tested them thoroughly. What do you think about the Urban Decay Original Primer Potion? Do you find that it is worth the money or is it better to skip and find a drugstore eyeshadow base/primer? I would love to know what your opinions are so feel free to let me know in the comments how this product worked for you!  

7 comments:

  1. I've never used a primer for my eyes. I think perhaps I should, after seeing the difference above!

    www.lululovesfilms.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you use cream eyeshadows as bases or do you use nothing at all? If you don't use cream eyeshadows either I would highly recommend the Maybelline Colour Tattoos which are wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Hello, i followed you oin bloglovin, please follow my blog too there.

    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3947784

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a sample with my Naked 1 palette and I love it! It does keep my eyeshadow on longer and it used to crease but that doesn't happen when I use the primer
    http://emhasrednails.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually never used a primer before but have always been intrigued by this one! Looking forward to your reviews for the other primers to see which you prefer!

    Lizzie // xBeautyMagic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is so disappointing to me! I barely see a difference in the intensity of the shadows. I'm most likely skipping this, I'm sure I can find something much better. It just sucks since it's raved about so much!
    www.madisonblanding.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% the intensity is very minimal and I get much better results using the Nyx Jumbo Pencil in Milk. The only thing that I would say is nice about this product is it does make the colours last all day, but so do eye bases like Maybelline Colour Tattoos or the Nyx Jumbo Pencils so needless to say I will not be purchasing the full size.

      Delete

UA-51663625-1