Monday, 17 February 2014

Poundland NOTD Pretty - Graffiti Effect Nail Varnish + Review


I am a big fan of shopping at Poundland and love browsing around the store to see what I can find. As many of you know I have recently browsed my local Poundland and picked up a few goodies including some nail polishes and storage! Now I normally check the ‘beauty’ section in the store which may sound strange coming from a Poundland but you can actually find some great deals and steals in the ‘beauty’ section!

Basically Poundland offers their own makeup brand called chit chat and also carries some high street/ drugstore beauty products that are sold at a discount (£1). I have found makeup items from the brands Sally Hanson, Maybelline, Revlon and Collection 2000 but I am sure you can find many more! Recently I noticed a new section in my local Poundland which was called ‘The Nail Bar’ which contained a ton of new nail polish I have not seen before from the brand Pretty. Now I have never heard of this brand before so it may just be a Poundland brand but I decided to pick one up and give it a try!

While looking at all of the pretty bottles of nail polish I stumbled across a glitter polish called ‘Graffiti Effect Nail Varnish’ that contained tons of different coloured glitter in it with a mix between red, green, yellow glitter. The glitter pieces also contain different shapes within the polish as some are little circles and some are little lines. Now this polish intrigued me because of all of the different shapes and colours and I do not actually own many ‘glitter’ polishes in my nail polish collection. So I thought this is a great opportunity to pick up a cheap polish and give it a try!

Pretty - Grafitti Effect Nail Varnish
First I would like to mention that the base colour to this nail polish is indeed coloured and not clear. I had assumed from looking at the bottle that it would be a clear polish with glitter within it but I was wrong and it definitely has a clear somewhat pink colour to it. I applied this glitter nail polish over my Revlon Lilac Pastelle nail polish which is a light pink/lilac colour, and it did change the colour of the lilac shade slightly by making it more pink. Since the glitter does have a clear pink base I am not actually sure how this would apply over a colour that is not pink but I will need to check that out and let you all know!

Pretty - Graffiti Effect Nail Polish  and  Revlon Lilac Pastelle Nail Enamel
Through painting my nails I decided to test how easily the glitter polish would build on itself. I started off by doing one coat of glitter and it did apply a good coating of the glitter but it is by no means covering the whole nail. The effect it leaves on the nail I wouldn't say is graffiti like, but the glitter over the pink reminds me of Easter eggs so I feel like this manicure would be great around Easter and Spring time.

One coat of Graffiti Effect Nail Polish
I next applied another coat and it turned out to have a lot better glitter coverage over the nail but still did not have glitter covering the entire nail. I decided to see how many coats it would take to fully cover my nail in glitter and it took around 4-5 coats to get a full opaque layer of glitter and I do have to say the effect looked very nice.

Top-Bottom:  2 coats, 1 coat, 4-5 coats, 1 coat
The only downfalls I have with this product is that it does take a while to dry if you do build up the coats and it is a pain to remove! For one coat it did dry decently fast around 10 minutes to fully dry, but when I layered up the polish to get an opaque coat it took hours to fully dry without any smudging. I applied this polish yesterday and if I push on the glitter coated nail with my finger even today it will make a dent within the polish so I would say stick to thin coats and only do a maximum of 2. This polish is also very difficult to remove as if you use a cotton pad it will tear up the cotton pad since the glitter is very sharp. I did remove it with a cotton pad but had to really scrape at the nail with my other fingers to fully remove the polish. I have heard from others that glitter polish is normally hard to remove but does anyone have any tips on how to remove it more easily?

One coat of Graffiti Effect Nail Varnish

Overall for £1 at Poundland I feel that the Graffiti Effect Nail Varnish does a great job of packing on the glitter and dries at a decent time if you don’t do too many coats. I love the effect it gives to the nails and it really is great for those of us who like to do nail art or just want to jazz up a manicure. 

12 comments:

  1. Looks nice! I think it's a very fun combination x

    Cristina | www.definitelymycupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I came across your blog and I love how much depth you go into in your reviews! It is for this reason that I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award :)
    Here are the rules:
    http://yourlifeplaylist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/tag-liebster-blog-award.html

    Enjoy, Lauren xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel very strongly about giving a good in depth review because I personally like to reivew a product very thoroughly before I ever buy anything so I would like to inform others so that they can make up their own decision on whether the product is a good pick for them or not. I am always honest in my posts and I hope that people can appreciate that as I would expect the same from other bloggers! Thank you for the nomination, I have already done a post on the Liebster award but I have updated it to include your questions! You can see the post here.

      Delete
  3. Hey lovely i just nominated you for The Liebster Award!..xxx http://lipstick-affair.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really pretty, and it's so cheap! Hurrah!

    Sharlotte //

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, love your blog! I'm your newest follower on bloglovin; hope you can follow back :)

    www.weshareinterest.net

    Pam xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty color! Can't wait how it does on other colors, I always love reading what you have to say on a product. (:

    Jessica || theduffy101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. Its amazing the different finds that you can get at Poundland.

    zoea2812.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review! :D I've been looking for one on this glitter polish because I wasn't too sure on whether I should get it or not... Next time I'm in Poundland I'm sure gonna look for it ^^
    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice, the only problem is it's a little hard to remove but if you have the patience I would say go for it!

      Delete
    2. The downside of pretty much every glitter polish I guess :D but it's worth it ^^

      Delete
    3. I am pretty laid back so I don't really mind spending extra time to get it off! This one reminds me of the Cadbury Mini Eggs with the light pink colour all over the nail. I like that you can easily build it up to the intensity that you want but I think one coat works best.

      Delete

UA-51663625-1