Saturday, 15 February 2014

Makeup Academy (MUA) - Lip Liners

Since Valentine’s Day was yesterday I decided to stick with the pink and red theme and review my Makeup Academy (MUA) Intense Colour Lip Liners. The Intense Colour Lip Liner’s come in four different shades including a light pink, hot pink, red and a darker plum shade. Makeup Academy products are sold exclusively at Superdrug and the MUA website and these lip liners retail for £1. I personally own the light and hot pink which are called Softly Lined and Pink Me Up.



So I am sure many of you who follow my blog know that I am a big fan of the Makeup Academy (MUA) brand as a whole and love most of their cheaper products, but these Intense Colour Lip Liners are honestly one of the worst I have ever used. 

The MUA lip liners are very soft and easily glide on the lips without tugging or pulling on the liner. They do have a great consistency and the colour pigmentation is fantastic on the product which is great for a lip liner. The cap to the lip liner contains a sharpener which is very handy. As you can see from the swatches below the colours do contain shimmer and sparkles which would be fine but I also find that the lip liners come off almost metallic on the swatch and on the lips which I cannot understand.


For example when I apply the lightest pink shade to my lips it just looks like a metallic silver colour which is not what you would expect from a light pink colour. The same thing applies to the hot pink lip liner and also looks very metallic on the lips but not as bad as the lighter shade. Even when you apply a lipstick over the top it just creates a weird finish to the lips which I do not find flattering in the slightest.




These lip liners also are terrible for clinging onto dry patches on your lips. I myself have very cracked dry lips in the winter time and these cannot be used without first exfoliating your lips thoroughly. I am not actually sure if other lip liners are prone to clinging onto dry patches on the lips but these ones with the metallic shimmer make it much more noticeable than it would normally look once I have applied my lipstick.

I also find that these lip liners do not prolong the wear of your lipstick at all. I have tried using these just lining the outside of my lips and lining the whole of my lips and neither way helps to prolong the wear of my lipstick. I also find that when I do wear a more intense colour the colour will not stay within the lines that you have created but smudge outside which is not what should happen when wearing a lip liner.



Overall I think your pound would be better spent saving for a higher quality lip liner that will give you a perfect look and also prolong the wear of your lipstick! If you are indeed looking for other MUA products I have many other reviews on my blog but I would definitely recommend the eyeshadows and blushers.

10 comments:

  1. I've been unlucky with a lot of the MUA lip products so far and only found one or two that I've been happy with, but their eye shadows and palettes are fab :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the lipsticks but I feel that they are very drying and I know that some people won't like that and it actually does hurt my lips after awhile of wearing them. The colour pigmentation is good though so I still wear them... I agree the eyeshadows and palettes are amazing!

      Delete
  2. Ah, thats disappointing- I normally quite like MUA products! Although, I do find their lipsticks quite trying too.
    Great review :)
    thegirlsnextdooruk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pigmentation of the lipsticks but they are just so drying on my lips, but I do have quite sensitive lips (dry/chapped, allergic reactions to chapstick etc) so I am not sure if it is just me personally or if everyone finds them drying so its nice to hear another opinion :) I love the brand MUA and most of their products are fantastic but a few bunch out of the collection could use some working on!

      Delete
  3. Shame they didn't work for you, really fab review doll :)x

    The Belle Narrative

    ReplyDelete
  4. great review - shame they didn't work!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. there's a £150 high-end skincare giveaway on my blog here, if you fancy entering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is disappointing, I like that you're honest with your reviews though.

    www.kindoflovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite disappointing that these are so metallic looking because if they were just a normal matte/satin finish they would be great! The pigmentation is there, they are so smooth, creamy and easy to apply it just doesn't look right with the finish, even when you apply a lipstick over the top.

      Delete
  6. Great review, great honest opinions!
    It's a shame they didn't work though, they are such pretty colours though! :D
    Ellie,xx
    Elephant stories and more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post!

    Have a wonderful day.

    xoxo
    Kelly

    http://www.we-heart-fashion.com

    ReplyDelete

UA-51663625-1