Friday, 7 February 2014

Dramatic Valentines Day Tutorial

I am a big fan of dramatic smokey eyes so when I noticed that Valentine ’s Day was coming up I decided to create a pink and purple smokey eye for those of you who are looking for some Valentine’s day makeup inspiration! For this look I decided to use my Coastal Scents 88 palette as it contains many great vibrant colours especially pinks and purples which is what we will be using today.


First I used my ELF Duo Eye Shadow Cream in Black Licorice which contains a dark grey and black cream shadow. For this look I wanted to have dark deep colours so I patted the black cream shadow all over my eyelid. I will admit that this is not the greatest cream shadows that I have used and it is not crease proof but it is the only black/dark grey base that I own. Feel free to use any black cream eyeshadow that you have or even use some gel eyeliner or black pencil liner and smudge away.


Next I patted the purple eyeshadow marked number 1 in the palette all over my eyelid. I tried to keep this directly on the eyelid and did not bring this into the crease at all. Don’t worry about this colour too much as I will be placing a pink shadow on top of the look but I just wanted it to darken the lid just a tad and so that when the pink will be placed on top it will mix with the purple to create a nice subtle pink shade.


Next I patted the pink eyeshadow marked number 2 in the palette all over the lid making sure to blend it over top of the purple and mix the two colours together. Make sure you cover the entire lid on this step as this is the final lid colour which will show on the end result. 


Since in the last step we mixed the pink with the purple, I wiped off my brush and applied just the pink shade into my crease. You really want to make sure that you are applying only the pink colour and blending it very well around the edges to create a smooth transition.


To darken up the look I placed the dark brown shade marked number 3 in the palette into my outer v. Make sure to blend this colour onto the eyelid and up into the crease just a little so that it blends smoothly and you cannot see any harsh lines. If you would like to deepen up the outer v even more you can grab the darker brown shade marked number 4 in the palette and apply this on top of the previous colour.



If you would like to smudge some colour under your lower lash line, mix the purple and pink shades on a small detail brush and sweep this across the lower lash line. If you would like to darken the outer corner add a little of the dark brown shade just to the corner of the lower lash line.



To finish off the look I used my MUA liquid eyeliner, curled my lashes and applied two coats of my Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam mascara. If you would like to see a full review on the Scandaleyes Retro Glam mascara you can see my post here.




15 comments:

  1. Wow this is incredible! You are so great at this, I can't wait to try it :)

    Josie xoxo
    Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to come up with a less dramatic and more natural look before Valentines day as well so look forward to that :D

      Delete
  2. Oh my, such a pretty look! And so helpful I've gotta try this look! You did awesome Shelby!
    -Jessica

    http://theduffy101.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks gorgeous! you have a real talent x
    http://trendsareoverrated.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so talented! It looks fab, and that's one mega palette :-)

    Sharlotte // Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love this palette and it is great when you want to branch out into different colours but don't want to spend too much money as you will not wear it on a daily basis. I wouldn't say the pigmentation is totally amazing on all of the colours but it can do the trick with a base and most of the colours are pretty decent! I own 4 of the Coastal Scents eyeshadow palettes but I really enjoy wearing coloured eyeshadows so these are great :).

      Delete
  5. Ooooh, well done, I really love the end result! You picked lovely shades for your look, very V-day appropriate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial I'm terrible at doing my eyes. I'll have to give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't beat yourself up if you don't do something makeup related 'perfect', everyone has their problems or difficulties doing something. I for example cannot do my eyeliner very good as it is never straight and I actually can't wing out my liner. Some days I try and it does turn out good and other days its terrible and I have to wipe it off and do it normal. But practice does definitely help improve :D I hope it turns out great.

      Delete
  7. ooo the final result is beautiful! valentine's is the perfect opportunity to be a little more dramatic with makeup.

    xo,
    gabby
    www.likealittlefox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that any holiday is a great way for people who wear natural looks normally to branch out and do something a little more intense :) I personally would wear something like this on a daily basis but I really love my colour eyeshadows!

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for the follow.
    Follow you back on bloglovin.
    Btw,I'm also on Instagram,maybe you like my account?
    Lovely greets from germany ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You picked such pretty colors! :)

    http://forvanityssake.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and truly dramatic ! The purple males your brown eyes pop ! ;-)

    http://kristelandre.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

UA-51663625-1