Monday, 13 January 2014

Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam Mascara Review

On my New Year’s Eve haul I picked up the new Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam mascara which retails for around £6.99. You can find this mascara at your local drugstore such as Superdrug and Boots or if you prefer buying online you can purchase this mascara at Amazon. I have never tried Rimmel mascara before and have always been addicted to the L’Oreal Volume Million Lashes mascara, but with the insane hype that bloggers gave to the Scandaleyes line I knew I had to try one. I decided to go with the Retro Glam as it appeared to be new and was featured on the display. The woman on the display looked great and had almost a false lash appearance, which intrigued me. This mascara claims to give you a wide-eyed false lash look with fanned out volume with no clumps! That sounds pretty great but does it live up to its claims and expectations?



First off this Rimmel mascara has a wetter formula to it which I don’t really care for in mascara. I have very sensitive eyes and when I apply my mascara I tend to randomly blink and with this mascara it smudges on the bottom lash line if you blink before it dries. The product I find does create clumps on the lashes but not too many as long as you do a thin layer of mascara for your first application. I do not find that this mascara is very buildable and does not really hold more product when you go for the 2nd application. It does make your lashes look great but it does not hold a curl for very long and for the picture below I had to remove some clumps the mascara made with my fingers.

Before the Retro Glam mascara application
After the Retro Glam mascara application (1 Coat)
After the Retro Glam mascara application (1 Coat)
The wand is a brush type wand instead of plastic and is in the shape of an hourglass figure. When you use the brush it pushes out your inner and outer lashes but keeps the middle of your lashes where they are which does create a very open eyed look which is what the mascara claims to do. It is quite a large wand compared to most brushes, which I find is great for the top lashes but can be very tricky when trying to do your bottom lashes.  My trick for applying this mascara tot eh bottom lashes is just using the tip of the brush and sweeping it across my bottom lashes.



The lasting power on this mascara is not great as it produces flakiness and smudging on the lower lash line. If you have sensitive eyes that tend to tear up throughout the day this will smudge very badly so take caution. It is very easy to remove but almost too easy that it doesn't stay put even when you want it to.

Although I will finish up this mascara until it is finished, I cannot say that I would recommend this specific mascara to any of you as it just doesn't have the lasting power and is quite clumpy when it claims to be a non-clump formulation. I am not sure about the normal Rimmel Scandaleyes mascara and how that works, but if you have tried it I would love to hear your opinions! 

6 comments:

  1. There are so many mascaras to choose from at the moment - almost too many... and since this has a problem with flakiness I don't think I'll get it when there are so many others to choose from... Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there are way to many mascaras that it is almost overwhelming. I decided to go for the Retro Glam because that was the picture on the display. What is your favourite mascara of the moment? I am also currently trying out the NYC City Curls mascara and I think it is a lot better than the Rimmel Retro Glam so far.

      -Shelby

      Delete
  2. Such a shame about the freakiness. I t did look nice on your lashes though.

    Dejhana | Waite a Little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look great on the lashes, just terrible flakiness and staying power! I have never really had that problem with a mascara before until this one. I will probably use up this mascara until it is finished because it looks great but I just have to deal with the smudging after a few hours which is ok.

      -Shelby

      Delete
  3. looks nice

    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4602025/andystyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love scandaleyes mascara!! X

    ReplyDelete

UA-51663625-1