Friday, 17 January 2014

Revlon Lip Butters - Review + Swatches

Every blogger has either heard about or owned one of the Revlon Lip Butters. These have received a lot of amazing reviews and they are much loved amongst the beauty community. If you have never tried these lip butters by Revlon they retail for around £7.99, which is not exactly cheap and is definitely on the higher side considering this is a drugstore makeup brand. These lip butters can be purchased from your local drug store or on Amazon. But are these Revlon lip butters worth the higher drugstore price?



Now many of you may wonder what exactly is a lip butter and how does this differ from a lipstick, lip gloss or lip balm? A lip butter is similar to a lip balm in that it is very moisturizing on the lips and feels very soothing. On top of this a lip butter usually has a sheer tint to them that is visible on the lips.

Now let’s hear about the Revlon lip butters in particular. These lip butters are in the Colorburst range and it offers a wide variety of shade selections including 13 different shades. These shades range all over the spectrum including nudes, orange, pink, red and dark plummy shades. This means that there is surely a colour that would suit everyone.  The packaging for these products look very similar to the Revlon Colorburst Lipsticks, but instead of the black casing they have a shade similar to the colour inside them. This makes it very easy to find which colour you want if you own multiple colours. The tops of the packaging are also clear so that you can see through to the actual lipstick shade which is great if you plan on storing these lipsticks upright.



As I said before lip butters usually have a sheer tint to them which is visible on the lips, but the lip butters by 
Revlon are highly pigmented. I am not just talking about a darker sheer lipstick kind of pigmented; I’m talking about a lip butter that is nearly as pigmented as a normal lipstick would be! If you have drier lips and find that normal lipsticks feel very dry and uncomfortable on the lips, these would be great as they feel almost like a lip balm or gloss on the lips. This feels very moisturizing and comfortable on the lips and does not cause any irritation. Now some of you may know that I am not a big fan of the feeling of lip gloss but these lip butters feel smooth like a lip gloss without the sticky effect that many lip glosses have which I am not a fan of. I would also like to say that these do not replace your lip balm and will not give you long lasting effects to the lips, but they just do not feel drying to the lips. If you obviously have drier lips and are looking for something to fix them, this will not do that but it may feel more comfortable than a drying lipstick.



The staying power of these lip butters is actually very good and it will last on the lips with full pigmentation for around 3-4 hours without fading. This can obviously be shortened if you have been eating or drinking a lot during the time, but it is easily fixable by reapplying a little product. I also find that when this product starts to wear off, I feel that it almost stains my lips to a lighter colour of the lipstick I am wearing. For example I own one of the butters in Lolipop which is a dark pink/purple, and once it starts to fade it almost gives a dark pink tint to my lips even when the product has completely faded which I love.





These lip butters are honestly amazing and if you are looking for a moisturizing lipstick, this is a great alternative as you get the moisturizing effect but you still get the pigmentation that a lipstick would have. I own two of these colours and have basically told myself I am not allowed to get any more until I use up the two I have as I do not have the space to store more lipsticks, but I honestly would love to have the whole range as they are so great! Even though the price is a little higher than a different drugstore brand, I feel the price is definitely worth it and was not disappointed in the slightest. 

11 comments:

  1. I've only tried one of these so far in the shade Raspberry pie, and it's so moisturising and lovely to wear :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't like wearing anything on my lips. I find that lipsticks are usually very drying and lip gloss is so sticky that most days I do everything but my lips. But I would say that these are the only lip product that I continually go for and never feel any discomfort on my lips at all! These products are my go-to lippys and are by far my most used! I love them so much <3

      Delete
  2. OMG I love the lollipop color! I keep seeing reviews of these and for whatever reason just have not gotten one! I think this weekend needs to be the weekend I get my lip butter on. I have a coupon at ULTA anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said in the comment above I almost never wear anything on my lips day to day because lipsticks are normally drying and the lipgloss is normally sticky, but these are one product that I will actually reach for over and over and are by far my favourite! I really think you should try one of these out because they honestly feel so great on your lips, better than a "creamy" lipstick!

      Delete
    2. Another thing, these products I feel also "stain" your lips. I posted this at around 3pm my time, and it is 6pm right now. I cannot feel the creaminess of the lip butter any more; but when I look in the mirror my lips are still stained the lolipop color with no splotchyness or anything looking weird. For example when a lipstick comes off you see little patches that wear off and others still perfect, but this is still perfect on my lips with no splotches anywhere! Amazing.

      Delete
  3. Lovely shades. I have a red cherry lipstick from Revlon.
    xo
    About women and not only Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been desperate to get some of these, and I think now I might just have to! The colours are gorgeous!
    Eden from edenroses xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review ,thank you so so so much for posting this:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are 2 for 10 at boots this week if you fancy some more?

    http://champagnelambinibudget.blogspot.co.uk/<a

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought these were good...yes they are overpriced but I think they're worth it!

    Sharlotte // Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revlon is one of those brands that you love their products (especially lippys) but you just wish the prices were a little less. I do think that they are worth the price, but if you are a beginner with makeup, £8-10 is a lot to spend on just one item. Because of this I would assume that people would skip on the products, but they are just so amazing!

      Delete

UA-51663625-1