Thursday, 30 January 2014

Makeup Academy (MUA) – Mascara in Shade 6 (blue)

My want for a blue mascara come around a year ago when I saw a YouTube video by MakeupByTiffanyD showing different ways to rock blue mascara. I had never thought about it before but she gave a tip to put on black mascara and only put blue mascara on the tips which would just give it a little bit of a different feeling and give a pop of colour up close. When I was browsing the MUA stand I noticed one of their Mascaras in Shade 6 which looks like a nice normal blue colour and it only costed £1 so I bought it. If you are from the US you can also purchase this off Amazon.


Now I had high hopes for this mascara and unfortunately it let me down quite a lot. The formulation for this mascara is very dry and it is very hard to actually get the product off of the wand and on to your lashes. The formula also contains fibres but I don’t find that this adds any volume or length to the lashes in the slightest.
When you apply the mascara you really have to wiggle the brush into your lash line and really push down on your lashes to get any kind of colour to show up. One coat will not be enough to get a true blue colour and I find that it normally takes around 3-4 coats before you can actually see any blue on your lashes. 



Unfortunately the black colour of my lashes still shows through so although you get a tint of blue it has random hairs that are still black. I have also seen girls use blue mascara on the bottom lashes, but this mascara is very hard to apply on the lower lash line since you can’t really push your eyelashes into the brush hardly any colour appears. In the pictures below I had no eyeliner and no eyeshadow so you can really see how the mascara transfers onto the lashes. As you can see the blue is visible but there is still a lot of black showing.

3-4 Coats of MUA Mascara in Shade 6
3-4 Coats of MUA Mascara in Shade 6

I guess this mascara may be ok if you were using it for a Halloween Tutorial or really just wanted a natural but still somewhat blue mascara but if you’re looking for opaque blue colour this isn't the mascara for you. I really do find this mascara so difficult to apply that I actually never end up wearing it and it is just sitting in a bag of makeup items that I do not like or hardly ever use. I would suggest saving your money and purchasing pricier coloured mascara if you are really looking for the full effect. If any of you have tried a great coloured mascara let me know in the comments below. If you have never tried coloured mascara which is your favourite mascara in general?

5 comments:

  1. This is cool! I bought a purple one awhile ago and there was NO color to it. I love that you can really see this one on your lashes, even if it's not as much as you were hoping for. This definitely looks better than the Maybelline ones though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a purple mascara! I bet that would look great for brown eyes especially. I have heard some not so great reviews on the Maybelline ones, I think I'll stay clear from them! It does give off a pretty blue colour but its just not as opaque as I would like it to be ;) But for fun makeup days it will do the trick.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant blog, great posts and beautiful proprietress! What to want more ...
    I follow you right now (on bloglovin) and welcome to visit my
    blog about fashion .



    Regards,
    Katherine Unique


    ReplyDelete
  3. I see what you mean about not coating all of the lashes and a bit of the black still coming through. However, I think the blue shows through quite well with 3-4 coats. Great review though, never tried MUA products and it's nice to see some reviews of their products. Do you have any of their eyeshadow palettes? I should have a review up of the Miss Manga Mascara some time next week, so you can see what the purple and black looks nice. If you like it, there is a blue on as well that you could try!

    Angels of Arcadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out the Miss Manga Mascara review you do :) I am really interested in the purple shade as I have never actually tried a purple mascara before. I bet it would look great with brown or hazel eyes especially.

      Delete

UA-51663625-1